Music & Arts
The Music & Arts Ministry exists to help the church and our city more fully and deeply know, worship, and serve God. Through nurturing fellowship, spiritual growth, service, and creative collaboration, our ministry also seeks to develop our community's artistic gifts and encourage loving engagement with the culture so that we may more truly reflect God's beauty and show His love in Christ to the world. From our weekly services to the concert series, art gallery, and the various creative and cultural events throughout the year, we offer a wealth of opportunities to enjoy, grow in, and share God's beauty, creativity, and goodness.
- Current Show: EPIPHANY
- Featuring the work of Sandra Bowden
- Through March 5
- "Star sent forth from highest heaven,
- dancing light of God's design,
- shine upon the gift that's given:
- Word made flesh, now born in time."
- - The Epiphany Carol
- "When you consider the radiance, that it does not withhold itself..."
- - A.R. Ammons, The City Limits
- "Christ minds: Christ's interest, what to avow or amend
- There, eyes them, heart wants, care haunts,
- foot follows kind,
- Their ransom, their rescue, and first, fast, last friend."
- - Gerard Manley Hopkins, The Lantern Out of Doors
Night has given way to morning. Our eyes have seen salvation's dawn, and Emmanuel, God's glory who now dwells in our very hearts, has come with work to do. Even as Christ is revealed as the Son of God, He calls us to both adore Him and follow Him.
Our Epiphany show, building on our recent exhibits, features more of Sandra Bowden's gilded, figurative work based on famous altar pieces depicting the life and ministry of Jesus. Through it, she helps us to more clearly see and "proclaim the excellencies of Him who called [us] out of darkness into His marvelous light." (1 Peter 2:9). The show, combining works from two of her shows, Word as Image and Cradle to Cross, uses vivid imagery, reflective gold leaf, and the living quality of encaustics to give visual form to our understanding and worship of Jesus, the Light of the World, who's earthly ministry ultimately led Him to the cross.
May this show fill us with wonder as we worship Christ, the Morning Star who has risen in our hearts. May it also inspire us to love, serve, and follow Him, with joy, together.
- David Lutes, Director of Music + Arts Ministry and Gallery Director
Music & Arts Lunches
Whether you're a creative professional, serious hobbyist, or are just beginning to explore your creative interests, join us for our monthly Music & Arts gatherings and enjoy food, fellowship, encouragement, and opportunities to discuss, learn, and serve with fellow creatives.
Lunch (and childcare - please just bring your child's lunch) is provided with an RSVP to David Lutes.
Mar 13, Apr 10, May 8
12 - 1:30 PM in the Gallery
Save the date for our next concert on April 5.
- Sandra McCracken, Nashville, TN
- Band of Heathens (Gordy Quist & Ed Jurdi), Austin, TX
- Andy Gullahorn, Nashville, TN
- Rob Lutes, Montreal, Canada
- Jake Armerding and Kevin Gosa (The Fretful Porcupine), Boston, MA
- Tess Wiley (from Six Pence None the Richer), Germany
- Kelly McCrae, Brooklyn, NY
- Doug Burr, Denton, TX
- Eric Peters, Nashville, TN
- Connie Mims, Houston, TX
- Nathan Tasker, Australia & Nashville, TN
- B. Sterling, Austin, TX
- Michael Thorne Jarrett, Waco, TX
- Dennis Welch, Austin, TX
- Christa Wells, Nashville, TN
- Betty Soo, Austin, TX
- Christa Wells with Jessica Campbell, Nashville, TN
- Ashley Daneman, NYC
- Brent Palmer, Austin, TX
- Rachel Zylstra, NYC
- Joe Deegan, Houston, TX
Cross & Culture Series
As All Saints seeks to “live as the body of Christ in Austin for the world” we are continually asking how we are called to engage with the culture of which we find ourselves a part. The Cross & Culture series is a launching pad for thoughtful discourse on the dynamic and complex parts of our culture in which we participate daily, including everything from music and literature to movies and politics.
The topics and speakers selected each year help us to not only recognize Christ’s transforming presence at work in these aspects of our culture but, instead of simply navigating past them, to also participate in them more thoughtfully and faithfully.
Previous Cross & Culture Events
- 2018: Creation Care
- 2017: Family, Friendship, and Celibacy: A Gospel-Centered Conversation on Homosexuality
- 2016: The Art and Impact of Documentary Film-making: IMBA MEANS SING
- 2015: Visual Arts in Culture, Christian Life, & Worship | Praying with the Eyes
- 2014: Re-Imagining Hymns | Matthew Smith & Indelible Grace
- 2013: Faith & Politics | Rafting the Political Rapids
All Saints' choir is welcoming new members this fall and will be singing regularly! Rehearsal is on Wednesday nights, 7:30-8:30 PM, in the Sanctuary. Come early for coffee and fellowship. Ages 12 and up are welcome. Some previous choir/singing experience suggested. Visit the choir page or contact Jamie Taylor for more information.
Singing Stones - All Saints Hymns
"I tell you," he replied, "if they keep quiet, the stones will cry out." - Luke 19:40
Listen to the All Saints musicians as they perform 14 favorite hymns, including "Be Thou My Vision", "When I Survey the Wondrous Cross", and "In Christ Alone."